Monday, February 15, 2010

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Ps. 51:10 NIV

Sister Donna with cousin Sue and the old rock
house in the background.
I want to tell you a little about the house. This
is where my sister, brother and I were raised. It
was a 5 room house, 3 downstairs and 2 upstairs,
built of native sandstone that was quarried in the
pasture east of the house. The original house was
built in 1873 with 4 rooms, one room was added
on the south later on. I want to draw attention to
the upstairs window behind Donna. That was LaRoy
and I's bedroom. The ceiling was tapered so that the
outside wall was only 4' tall. You had to be almost in
the center of the room to stand up straight. The stairway
was a steep L-shaped stairway so you had to watch
yourself when you went up or down. There was no heat
upstairs so it was very cold in the winter. The window
wasn't very tight so a lot of times when it snowed the snow
would sift through the window on the floor and sometimes
on our bed. As it was cold in the room, a lot of times
homecured hams and bacon would be hung there. When
the house was torn down we found a button-up shoe, a silver
spoon and 2 hedgeballs (osage oranges) in a hole in the wall
that had been placed there when the house was built.
LaRoy and I
When LaRoy was a senior he got a new 1951 Ford
pickup. There was nothing in a 4 county area that
could outrun it. Don't ask me how I know that. :-)
Me and LaRoy
Dressed up for something. Don't
remember what.
Me Donna LaRoy

LaRoy
8th grade graduation. We went to a rural
school so the graduation for all 8th graders
from rural schools in the county was held in town.

LaRoy by Donna's Pontiac

LaRoy
I THINK on senior trip...?

Darlene Postlethwaite and LaRoy
They started in country school together
in 1st grade and graduated from high school together.
My 8th grade graduation.

Mom Me Dad

Me and Don Casey (a neighbor)
In high school we had a relay team of guys over
200 pounds that we were both on. No one
could beat us because Don could run like a deer.
Donna

Donna
High school graduation.
This huge vine was on the west side of the house.

No comments: