Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas tears




At Christmas time our country school would have a Christmas program. All eight grades would have a part in the program. Before time we would draw names. We would buy a small gift for the one whose name we drew and give them out the night of the program. Then the school would hand out brown paper sacks that had one orange, an apple, mixed nuts in the shell and also hard Christmas candy. All this was bought in the bulk. Each family would buy the teacher a small gift or would make some food to give her. Everybody would have a good time. But there was a time in the program that made me sad. My mother had scarlet fever when she was young and it damaged her heart. This caused her trouble all her life. So I lived in fear all my life of her dying. She was sick and in and out of the hospital a lot. At the end of the program we would all be on the stage and we would end the program by singing Silent Night Holy Night. And I knew mom would cry and that really would hurt me to see her cry. I thought for a long time she was thinking about dying. But I know today that she was experiencing the Joy of the Lord. " But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to YOU: He is Christ the Lord '" Lk.2:10-11. I was 38 years old before I experienced the Joy of The Lord. If you have not experienced His joy just ask Him to be born in your heart. My mom passed away in 1956 at the age of 48. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

No comments: